Monday, August 1, 2011

Potential Homes - Part 1

Wow that is huge!!!! 
*Factoid - Did you know that Brasil with the exception of Alaska is the same size as the United States?  Yeah..........its true!

With our destination within Brasil still unknown, I often wonder where exactly we will wind up. Being that my wife would like a job as a professor at a federal university, it gives some idea of where we could go but that exact answer wont come until next year.


My "Potential Homes" posts will each highlight a possible city that we may wind up in due solely to the fact that they have a federal university with possible career opportunities.. The first city I will feature today is Maringá which is located in the state of Parana. The university that could bring us there is Universidade Federal do Parana. This is in the south of Brasil (where we would like to be). Some facts about the city:


Maringá is a city in southern Brasil that was founded on May 10, 1947.

Maringá is the third largest city in the state of Parana.

The city has a population of 357,117

It is a regional centre of commerce, services, agro-industries, and universities.


Language lesson for Americans!  (In my best Mr.Rogers voice) Lets all learn how to pronounce Maringa, ok kids????


Ma  (like mama)
rin   (ummm......like the sound of a bell. Ding  Just without the "g"
ga    (as in that no talent hack who will probably rot in hell for all eternity "Lady Gaga")

Ma - Din - Ga

And now two videos to show the city.  One with pretty pictures (who doesnt like pretty pictures??) and one informative. 






                              
All in all I would have to give this city a thumbs up. Looks nice to me. Could the gringo survive there? Absolutely! At this point I cant say that it is at the top of my list but would not be a disappointment if we had to go there.

Next "Potential Homes" post: A cidade de Florianopolis. My favorite!

Boa Noite,
Brandon











No comments:

Post a Comment